Introduction to Quilting Basics
Make 2 Patchwork Hot Pads
One-day skill building workshop with
Joan Loomis & Darcie Gellner
Tuesday, October 24, 2017
Making two different patchwork blocks is an easy way to learn or refresh your quilting skills. You will begin by measuring accurately and cutting fabric safely with a rotary cutter. You will make checkerboard and hourglass blocks to practice sewing a ¼” seam allowance and pressing properly. From there, you will sew blocks together to make two hot pad tops. Then you will layer the tops with batting, thermaguard and backing in preparation for quilting (such as, stitch-in-the-ditch). Finishing methods will be reviewed. Or if you prefer, you can later turn this project into placements or a runner.
** Please note that you must have a sewing machine in good working order and know how to use it and do simple sewing. **
You will need to purchase 4-5 different fabrics for an approximate total of 1.2 meter (about $25.00) for 2 hot pads that will measure about 12’’ x 12” finished. The supply list will be provided upon registration and will give details on color selection and yardage. The workshop fee will include the cost of the batting and thermaguard. Please ensure that you have the supply list prior to the workshop date.
Workshop Date: October 24, 2017
Workshop Time: 9:00 - 4:00, includes time for a bag lunch
Location: Lady Macdonald Room, Canmore Recreation Centre
1900 8th Avenue, Canmore, AB, T1W 1Y2
Member Fee: $70.00
Non-member Fee: $80.00
Note: Fee covers instruction, venue rental and batting-thermaguard supplies.
Registration deadline date - October 5, 2017
Minimum number of participants – 9
Maximum number of participants – 20
For further information, please contact the workshop coordinator, email@example.com
To register for this workshop
- Member registration is on first-come basis with full payment – please register sooner than later.
- Complete a registration form (below) before the Oct. 5 deadline date and submit to the course coordinator, and
- Provide a cheque for the full amount of the course fee of $70.00 at time of registration.
- Non-member registration will begin after Sept. 6 on a first-come basis. Non-member workshop fee is $80.00 to be paid in full on application.
- You may cancel your course registration before the Oct. 4, 2017 deadline date and receive a full refund; the refund will be issued by cheque.
- No refund of the registration fee will occur after this deadline date.
- If you are unable to attend after the deadline date, registration is transferable if you arrange to send someone in your place and inform the course coordinator of your replacement
- If there are insufficient registrations by Oct. 5, the course will be cancelled and a full refund issued.
- If the workshop is cancelled due to instructor illness, weather, or other unforeseen causes, then a refund less any penalties to the guild will be given.
REGISTRATION FORM – Beginner-Refresher Quilting Workshop
Name: ___________________________ Phone number: ________________
Email address: ______________________________________
|I have read and agree to the registration procedures and cancellation policy|
|I have enclosed a cheque for non-member fee $80.00 payable to Mountain Cabin Quilters Guild or “MCQG”
OR – I have sent e-transfer to Karen via email- Karen@informativeservices.com
Send registration form to firstname.lastname@example.org and please indicate payment method.
If sending cheque, mail it to Workshop Coordinator Box 8008, Canmore, AB T1W 2T8
Upcoming Workshops (Further Details To Be Announced)
- Jan 19-20: 1.5 day Confetti workshop by Cecile Lafleur
- Feb 10: Workshop by Kim Caskey on Beyond Basics Machine Quilting in Craft room at Origin-Spring Creek
- Feb 10: Presentation by Kim Caskey on Share Jane Journey in Theatre Room at Origin-Spring Creek
- Feb 11: Workshop by Jeltje van Essen on Anton Pieck Watercolour/Embroidery- Craft room, Origin-Spring Creek
- April: Improv Quilt workshop by Pam Yonge (venue/date - TBD)
Workshop Registration Policies
Each year the guild organizes workshops based on demand and/or availability of instructors. Our policy for Workshop Registration Procedures and Payment as well as our Cancellation/Refund Policy are provided below. Please familiarize yourself with these policies before registering. The MCQG reserves the right to cancel a Workshop at any time.
To inquire contact the MCQG by email on our contact page; we will get back to you as quickly as possible. Please refer to the “Calendar” as well, for dates and times of all guild events.
Workshop Registration Procedures and Payment
- Workshop fees are required at time of registration (and will be deposited).
- Workshops are filled on a first‐come basis with full payment.
- Procedures to register in a Workshop are:
- a) Complete a registration form and submit to the Workshop coordinator,
- b) Provide a cheque for the full amount of the Workshop fee, and
- c) Make cheques/money-orders payable to "Mountain Cabin Quilters Guild" or "MCQG" and mail to: Attn: Workshop Coordinator, Box 8008, Canmore, AB, T1W 2T8
- Non-members may apply and the Workshop fee will be ~20% more than the member Workshop fee.
- Priority will be given to members for about 3 weeks after a workshop is advertised. A specific date will be set for each workshop, after which time non-members will be registered on a first‐come basis with full payment.
- Registrants may cancel a workshop registration before the deadline date and receive a full refund. The deadline date will depend on the requirement of the Workshop instructor and workshop venue). The deadline date is typically 30 days before the start date of the workshop .The refund will be issued by cheque.
- No refund of the registration fee will occur after the deadline date.
- If registrants are unable to attend after the deadline date, registration is transferable if the registrant:
- a) arranges to send someone in their place and
- b) informs the Workshop coordinator of their replacement
- If there are insufficient registrations, Workshops will be cancelled and a full refund issued.
- Registrants, who must cancel for a good reason (beyond the registrant's control) on the day of a workshop when it is impossible to find a replacement, will receive a credit for a subsequent Workshop fee if the education budget in the current year is overall in the black.