Celebrating Canada’s 150th birthday or Sesquicentennial
Members are invited to make something “quilty” to commemorate Canada’s 150th year of confederation. The sky is the limit on this one, so don’t hold back.
Here are just a few suggestions/ideas to help you get started:
• Make a block, placemat, table runner, wall hanging or quilt (traditional, modern, your own design)
• Make a purse/bag, a funky hat, a garment, a flag, a stamp, iPad holder
• Make a project/kit offered through a quilt shop, e.g. Row-by-Row, Cantik Batik block packages, etc.
• Use any Canada theme fabric (check out quilt stores for these)
• Use red and white fabrics o Print photos on fabric
• Make the quilt 150 inches all the way around, use 150 blocks or pieces
• Make the quilt in the shape of a province, the country
• Make the quilt with an iconic Canadian image – maple leaf, animal/bird, flower, vista, landmark, etc.
• Commemorate something historical or passionate to you
• If you learned a technique/block, dyed your own fabric, made soy-wax fabric, use any or all of these as a next step towards something “quilty”
Please show and share your creations at any meeting’s “Show ‘n Share” throughout the year. Bring in your works-in-progress. This will help generate enthusiasm and ideas for others.
Although the challenge will run until November 2017, we ask for completed projects by the AGM on Wednesday, June 21, 2017. Please attach a label that includes your name and a short description. The guild will provide a special label which can be sewn on the back of the quilt in appreciation of your participation.
In addition to showing your Canada 150 Challenge at the AGM, other places that you may choose to show your tribute to Canada include:
1. “Canada My Home” Visions 2017 Show in March-April if it meets the criteria for originality
2. Fall Show 2017 in October (date TBA)
3. artsPlace Hub Gallery from Dec. 1, 2017 to Jan. 8, 2018. Due to limited space, restrictions may apply: 1) size must be smaller than a twin and 2) one entry per person.
We will not be entering the Canada Day Parade. ===============================================================================
ses·qui·cen·ten·ni·al (seskwisenˈtenēəl) adjective: sesquicentennial – of or relating to the one-hundred-and-fiftieth anniversary of a significant event. noun: sesquicentennial; plural noun: sesquicentennials – a one-hundred-and-fiftieth anniversary.
Website suggestions to get you started: